[cryptome] Re: Farook Backup: Password Screwup

  • From: douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 22:32:33 +0000

see url: https://cryptome.org/2016/02/usg-apple-001-009.pdf

Hi Michael,
No problem. As I said...it really is worth folks's while to read the document submitted to compell Apple to comply. It is important to gain an understanding of what is going on, in my view. The software belongs to Apple. It is propietary software. It cannot be meddled with by anyone,without their permission. If anyone changes it, without Apples permission or licence, including the government, they break the copyright, that is against US law...It is what copyright and all those organisations in the USA are about really. The government can't get into the software legally without breaking Apples rights in law.

The FBI is being very nice and representative regarding the people, saying that it respects private ownership of copyright and is not prepared to break it. Now that is the law, you can believe it or not, up to you and you can think that the FBI has turned a new leaf and all of a sudden has decided that it represents the citizens after all, rather than the government. That again is up to you. All I am doing is quoting my interpretation of what they are saying in the document. It really is well worth studying, read it at least 3 times, as I have done, is my advice, because it will help colleagues not to get mislead by all this shit that is flying around...reminds me of Lou Reed and Velvet Underground...
I have put the USG v Apple url at the top of the page for those who don't have the time or inclination to read any further.
And remember the politics of it This bastard Farook and his missus shot and killed a lot of people. People who considered themselves as friends of him and his missus, people who were just going about their daily business. There is no getting away from that, and, in my humble opinion, it is what will determine what happens in any future appeal.
Keep asking...keep arguing...keep thinking...:-)

On 21/02/2016 21:11, Michael Best wrote:

What does copyright have to do with it? FBI isn't trying to redistribute the code. Apple's NDAs and IP agreements might apply, but I don't see what role copyright plays. (I'm asking, not arguing. I haven't exactly following the case though, and I already got one major detail wrong lol.)

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2016, at 3:45 PM, douglas rankine <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

see url: https://twitter.com/cfarivar/status/701430905076731906

Even if the FBI did screw up...or Farooks Employer screwed up...or they both screwed up...It wouldn't have made a lot of difference regarding what is at present on Farooks phone. The back up was done on October 19th whereas the crime was committed one and a half months later. In that time, up until the time of the crime, the phone had NOT been backed up...according to the affadavit from the FBI. From looking at the affadavit, the FBI is saying that they agreed to trying to change the password to see if they could get access to the back up, and the phone. It didn't work, so that makes the FBI stupid because they should have known. Does this mean that if the FBI/Farooks employer hadn't changed the password that there would have been an automatic backup made?

Remember, according to the FBI, it is Apple software, it is copyright and the FBI is not allowed under US Law to breach that copyright. Any experts out there on Apples end-to-end encryption software, who isn't bound by Apple's copyright and non-disclosure agreements? Perhaps they could enlighten us.

Whom do I believe? I'll reserve my judgement until the facts come out!...:-) . Coward that I am...