Re: [cpsig] Re: Huntingdon, BC and Sumas, WA circa 1955

  • From: "Doug Cummings" <DougCummings@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:54:55 -0700

I do not believe the GN ever ran into Sumas/Huntingdon. Their east/west line was further north and ran from Cannor which was west of Chilliwack (connection with Canadian Northern later Canadian National) west along the north side of the lake.

When I worked for BCER we interchanged with NP and MILW at Sumas and they were side by side. MILW had trackage going east from Sumas, as well as west, so they had to be able to go either way from Sumas. This part of the Milwaukee was the old Bellingham Bay & British Columbia and was isolated from the rest of the Milwaukee system. In later years the Milwaukee had trackage rights on BN between Bellingham and Everett to connect the Sumas line with the rest of the railroad.

Doug

Thanks. I found that image a week or so ago. Am curious if anyone knows why the MILW had loop trackage than ran around the south and east sides of Sumas to the BCER, as shown in the map Roger mentioned. The MILW already had a connection "downtown" where the three depots were.

I can see the loop track ROW in an aerial photo from 1955 but I can't tell if the rails were still in place. Perhaps this track was used when the GN was also in town, to relieve congestion. By 1955 the GN was no longer operating in Huntingdon, from what I understand.

--Kent
--- In cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roger Traviss" <rogertra@...> wrote:

> What I would like the list's help with is understanding the CPR's
> operations in 1955 at Huntingdon. I have several good photos of the > depot
> but few of locomotives and cabeese. I also would like to understand > what
> trains were running to and from Huntingdon (Scheduled or extra? Train
> numbers? Frequency? Etc.) Can anyone help?

This may be of interest.

http://bcer.trams.bc.ca/pics/huntlq.JPG

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rogertra/Great_Eastern/