Re: [cpsig] Re: GP7u/9u help

  • From: "KVRailway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 13:18:51 -0800

The crew probably knew exactly what they were doing. If I'm not mistaken, a heavy freight train working east up the canyon out of Golden won't exceed 35 miles per hour at any point from Golden to Field, so working the yard unit up the hill would have been fair game. I saw a 8100 series RS12 unit worked exactly the same way on the Princeton Subdivision in 1975. The eastbound train working from Spences Bridge to Penticton had 3 GP9s and the RS12. Tonnage for the train was at the absolute maximum for three GP9 units, so the 8100 was put on line and away we went. The 8100 was the trailing unit on the consist and I can still hear it howl in Number 8 throttle as we clawed our way around the Belfort Loops about 12 MPH. I don't think we set any fires, though, because that thing was working so hard that the carbon cinders it blew from the exhaust stack are still coming down. The Mechanical Supervisor at Penticton was pretty choked when he climbed onto the unit just after arrival in Penticton. You could smell the thing 3 car lengths away. But, it worked its assignment at Penticton afterwards with no problems.

Joe Smuin

1. - "Joey, the secret to telling a good railway story is to always try to stick just as close to the facts as possible." --- (the late) Cliff Inkster; CPR Engineman, raconteur and philosopher.
2. - The secret to contacting Joe by email is to be sure to insert "Joe" or "Smuin" into the main text portion of any message you send to him, and thus your message should percolate through his spam filters.
----- Original Message ----- From: "John" <sutherail@xxxxxxxx>