Re: [cpsig] Re: Did it ever happen

  • From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:37:14 -0700

I read a bit about the CPR history and at one point the Northern Michigan
route was favoured. I always tought that CPR involvment with the Soo was
kinda selfish , my feeling is that CPR kept Soo Line  going for its own
purpose either to, as I proposed use the southern route as a shortcut or
just to have an alternate route should they have problems on their own
main line. I also figured that owning an american Railroad gave CP an
entry to the US shipping market.

How so selfish? I don't follow your logic here. American railways did such
things all the time, including building lines into Canadian territory to
complete directly with Canadian lines.

The American government even built at least one road into Canada without first getting the Canadian government's permission. Alaska Highway, 1940s. The first that the Canadian government learnt about this road being built in Canada was when the local natives and or their representatives wrote Ottawa asking why no locals were hired to work on the new road being built through British Columbia. "We're not building a road!" was the first response until they went up to have a look after the locals wrote back and advised them to do so.

IIRC, some American railroads were built into western Canada before government permission was given but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Cheers.

Roger T.
See the GER at: -
http://www.islandnet.com/~rogertra/