Re: [cpsig] Re: Ballast for KVR

  • From: "KVRailway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 16:13:41 -0800

Speaking only to the KV, the railway took gravel from pits all over the place. I tried to document them when I wrote the Mileboards book, but have since found out that I didn't come close to documenting probably even half the places which were used at one point or another. To the best of my knowledge, clinkers were not specifically used as ballast. It wasn't strong enough. However, I agree that there were lots of places where clinkers were found in the ballast, sometimes to the point where clinkers essentially were the ballast. In my observation, this was mostly at sites where engines stopped and grates were shaken/ashpans dumped. Someplace in one of my sources, it states that the gravel ballast was simply 'pit-run.'

Joe Smuin

1. - "Joey, the secret to telling a good railway story is to always try to stick just as close to the facts as possible." --- (the late) Cliff Inkster; CPR Engineman, raconteur and philosopher.
2. - The secret to contacting Joe by email is to be sure to insert "Joe" or "Smuin" into the main text portion of any message you send to him, and thus your message should percolate through his spam filters.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Burrows" <rgburrow@xxxxxxxx>