Re: [cpsig] Re: Ballast for KVR

  • From: "KVRailway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:23:05 -0800

Nope. No slag ballast on the KV that I'm aware of. A little bit of Kimberley float was used in tiny spots here and there during the 1960s, but on the KV the ballast of choice was gravel. Remember, when I talk about the Kettle Valley, I'm speaking of actual Kettle Valley territory from Midway, BC west to Spences Bridge or Odlum/Petain. There is a certain bad habit of folks from Midway eastwards to consider themselves part of the KV, but they weren't. The line between Midway and Nelson was during the 1940s and 1950s commonly referred to as the Kettle Valley line, but from Midway east, with the exception of a short bit of trackage at Grand Forks, BC, it was actually Columbia & Western territory and was never, ever KV territory.

Joe Smuin

1. - "Joey, the secret to telling a good railway story is to always try to stick just as close to the facts as possible." --- (the late) Cliff Inkster; CPR Engineman, raconteur and philosopher.
2. - The secret to contacting Joe by email is to be sure to insert "Joe" or "Smuin" into the main text portion of any message you send to him, and thus your message should percolate through his spam filters.
----- Original Message ----- From: "b4cprail" <rr_auer@xxxxxxxxx>
What, no slag from Trail as was used in the Sudbury area?

Rainer Auer
Saskatoon, SK

--- In cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "KVRailway" <kvrailway@...> wrote:

Ballast was basic gravel, not rock like current main line ballast. You can
probably mix your own up from what ever sand supply you can find.

----- Original Message ----- From: "josephmark96" <josephmark96@...>