Re: [cpsig] Ice breaker box cars

  • From: "K V Railway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 00:11:41 -0800

-----Original Message----- From: Roger Traviss
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 7:41 PM
To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cpsig] Ice breaker box cars

Loosely speaking these were box cars fitted with metal bars on the roof
roughly in the same profile as the dome profile on the Canadian's domes.
These box cars would be sent ahead and would knock down any icicles or
other
obstructions that would otherwise hit the domes themselves and possibly do
damage.

I thought we agreed that these cars were not introduced until after the
autoracks came into service?

Or were they in use in the 1950s and early 1960s?

Roger Traviss

Listers:

Roger has the correct impression, the box cars showed up a long after the Canadian Budd equipment came into service. Just to be sure,
I put the question to a long retired CPR official who shall remain nameless by his specific request. You'll just have to trust me on this one,
but this individual is well qualified to answer the question. Here's the correspondence from earlier this evening: