Re: [cpsig] CPR D-10 from sunset

  • From: "dave hill" <techill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 00:40:29 -0500

Our layout is the Oakville sub and the galt sub and the goderich sub hamilton to Guelph Junction, and we conest with the TH&B so 2 g2,s and 2 g3 ,s were equiped with automatic train control so they could venture into TH& B and New York Central territory . for the passenger trains . Now I am trying to get my D10 (Van Hobbies regeared and a can motor istalledand hopefully DCC and sound so it can pull a decent load . Especially up the Goderich sub I,m modeling 1061 which ran out of Chatham ST roundhouse and was used primarilly onthe coal run to Port Burwell to meet the SS Astabulia which 32 cars of coal could be unloaded to feed CPR,s coal burners in Southern Ont . My other interest is New York Central and TH&B . This is interesting I got a call from Stan at Georges Trains he is rebuiling a 4-4-0 for a friend who lives out of town we got discussing brass and he remarked re the D-10 He was discussing the future brass bussiness with Jack who owns Division Point he feels the Brass steam engine bussiness will last another five or six years then those of us that remember steam will all be starting to pass on gee thans Jack .Well with all the computer techoligy and plastic injection systems I feel that plastic will become the new brass True Line Trains CNR u2g will be the test . My feeling is that the younger modelers will still have an affection for steam especially with the sound sytems and now syncronized smoke the model takes on even more the personality of the prototype and lets face it there is nothing more facinating than watching steam trackside and listening to the big sound of steam exhaust . Now it was March of 1960 on a Thursday night there was agiat snow storm with winds 70 -80 km drifts there was one on our street where 2 station wagons got stranded each side of the street the drift created was 4 feet higher than the cars roofs we wlked over it looking down at the cars . It took most of the day to plow out the roads . The familly went for a drive to check out all the snow we were going south on Kennedy Rd in Scarborough there was a level crossing and the wig wag was going coming westbound was a wedge plow very slowly behind it were 3 D10,s and a caboose of course there was an engine crew in each engine I will never forget that they had call out the old reliable D10,s to do battle with mother nature its was dark but I stillremember that night like it was yesterday because it was the last time I saw steam in regular service, It was a triple header plow movement 3 engines 3 engine crews and plow operators . What picture that would have made a real Winston Link/Kodak moment Well sunset is doing a D10 in O scale the drawings are there one big expense down so maybe they will bild a HO D10 before Divison Point can get theirs off the ground regardsDAVID HILL
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Pinchbeck" <jpinchbeck@xxxxxxxxxx>