[cpha] Re: Last February CP train crash to be covered by CBC

  • From: Craig Talbot <talbotc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 17:34:58 -0700

John,

Partridge was removed in 1952, and reinstated in 1967. I have seen a Nick Morant photo of the first F units on the hill passing Partridge where the rails had been lifted and the ties were still in place. I had thought Yoho was both a siding and a back track, so 3 tracks. That was a long time ago, I have not been there in some time. I also wasn't aware that Cathedral had been removed. Now that there have been "No Trespassing" signs put up everywhere I have been respecting them.

Craig

John Sutherland (Redacted sender sutherail for DMARC) wrote:

Craig:  I wasn't aware the siding at Partridge had ever been removed.  It is definitely there, and was even lengthened a number of years back.  Yoho is just a back track, mostly used by M/W folks.  I suspect it lost its status as a siding when the CTC was installed in the 1960s.  I have no idea as to its length, but likely too short.  The lower siding, Cathedral, has been removed although the control signals are still operational, at least at the west switch.  Perhaps that is the siding you were thinking of.

Like Bill, I can't imagine any RTC making any decisions about handbrakes.  On the other hand, a manager back in Calgary with an operating instruction manual at hand but little relevant field experience might blindly believe the book was the bible and get on the radio. Some can be arrogant in their ignorance.    Using retainers rather than applying the handbrakes MIGHT have been barely adequate in summer if the relief crew was ready to take over immediately, although that is very questionable.  The wait of several hours was the final straw.  So instead of one train getting further delayed for a couple of hours while the air was recovered and the handbrakes  released, the train and three lives were lost and numerous trains delayed for a day or more.