Re: Electrification (was Re: CPR D-10 from sunset)

  • From: Derek Boles <derekboles@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:24:51 -0500

3.2. Electrification (was  Re: CPR D-10 from sunset)
    Posted by: "John Sutherland" sutherail@xxxxxxxx sutherail
    Date: Mon Feb 9, 2009 4:41 pm ((PST))

CP never got close to "planning" on electrifying around Toronto.  In
that era the option was looked at, but for various reasons it was
quickly dropped.

There was some consideration given to electrifying the Toronto Terminals Railway (jointly owned by CP and CN) around World War I when the new Union Station was being built. But it never got beyond the initial discussion stage, undoubtedly for the reasons you indicate. I'm not aware that CP ever had any specific plans on their own, at least in Toronto, beyond their involvement in the TTR.

The Canadian Northern Railway, on the other hand, did have more specific plans on electrifying since they planned on building a line from Niagara to Toronto that would have entered the city in a long tunnel to North Toronto Station, which it planned on jointly using with CP. That was when the CNoR was building its electrified line through the Mount Royal Tunnel in Montreal. The CNoR had lots of grandiose schemes that it couldn't afford, which was one of the reasons it was taken over by CN.

Derek Boles