[covna] Re: Huge owl last night..

  • From: covna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: covna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:01:35 -0600

Definitely a Great Horned Owl. They range in color from brown to a relatively light gray with irregular white barring. They are 18" to 25" tall. As the Cornel site puts it, "With its long, earlike tufts, intimidating yellow-eyed stare, and deep hooting voice, the Great Horned Owl is the quintessential owl of storybooks."

Doug
tabonyproductions@xxxxxxx

On 12/16/2014 11:17 AM, covna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello, I know from the bird guide of COVNA screech owls are common around here but last night I was outside in my back yard around 9:45-10 pm and on the power line was a very large owl. From the distance standing and the gaps between the power lines this owl was about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall. Very quiet looking around side to side.

Flashed a light on it it was whitish with grey or brown tinged tipped feathers with pointy 'ear' feathers. Turned around and was going in to get phone camera and get the dog in then looked back and it was gone.

Very strange. It seemed that There would be a flapping sound or at least big movement to catch my eye. Did anyone see a big owl last night?
Just curious. This was in the Monarch/Roxanna area of Castlewood.

Elaine