[CTS] Re: iMac Wow! Some issues

  • From: "Eric C. Vogel" <ecvogel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 10:57:02 -0500

> Left over stuff:
> I wish I had 10.3 or 10.4. MSN Messenger 5 will not install. Is there
> a v4 for OSX floating out there?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/
mac/download/misc/msn_401.xml&secid=35&ssid=4&flgnosysreq=True

        Thanks!

> Best way to install OS 9.2.2 for classic. I do not want it to boot to
> it, or be dual boot. I cannot even thow on the DVD firmware without
> it. I should'a done it first.

That I'm not sure about; my 10.3 install dvd (that came with the
system) includes Classic (and 9.2.0 I believe) as an optional install after
I first boot.  10.4 came with Classic+9.2.2 during the install.

        I did not see this with 10.2. I hope to have this fixed soon.

> OpenOffice 2 errored out. v1 said something about the UI that I
> thought it might replace Aqua with so I canceled. Said there will be a
> Aqua one in the future. So no word proccessor till I get classic
> installed.

Nope, it doesn't replace it.  But it does run through X11, which requires
that you install X11 (/Applications/Utilities/X11.app); as I previously
stated, it doesn't support printing through OS X's print system.  Are they
still going to do an Aqua one?  Last I heard they stopped that when they saw
that NeoOffice/J worked.

You can try NeoOffice/J (Aqua port of OpenOffice) and AbiWord
(www.abiword.org - just a word processor, not an entire office suite) for
native Aqua apps.

        I will try NeoOffice/J

> Any free AV out there? Has a built in firewall. WOW!

http://clamxav.com/ - not the most user friend, but it's free AV

Yup, living atop Mach (FreeBSD based) and a FreeBSD userland, OS X inherited
ipf, FreeBSD's firewall.

        Thanks

> Too simple to setup, like XP with internet. Nothing screwy when I took
> it home to get all the updates that Mac will not let you download
> manually that would have taken forever.

Yes, it's such a problem that it's easy  ;)

        Yea, I was sweating it, tired out and wacked. ;)

> And Download Accelerator free for Mac?

I've not seen one, free or otherwise.

        Duh!

> I hate that it forces you to register the OS. GAH!

> IE is dead anyways so I think that will be moved to the trash can.
> Firefox looks ok, but Safari which hides and only puts IE in the dock
> durring install (Dunno why) is what she will use, keeps it simple. The
> e-mail program is really easy and the iCal that was installed dunno if
> she would need that.

Yup, last updated in 2001 and officially losing all support in a few days,
IE's worthless.

Yeah, up to 10.2 they put IE in there.  Possibly a legal agreement, possibly
because users expected to see the blue 'e', it was always there.  With 10.3
on Safari's down there.

        I assume, move to trash can is the way to remove apps?

I'm using Mail.app right now.  :-)

        I assume this is the one with the postage stamp icon? I was thinking
of installing Mozilla's Thunderbird. But I do not think so since this is
dirty easy and hardly any options. (Which is great). Mozilla had something
with making it look like the mac. Camillo or something. I may try that.

iCal's great; for some people (like me), it's really nice to have a
WebDAV server (I'm lazy, I use .Mac - $99/yr) to sync calendars to.
Others can subscribe in iCal (or any other webcal/ical client - Outlook,
Mozilla Sunbird, etc) or view it in a script that I have set up on my web
site which pulls them down from webcal.

        She does not need shared. Other than her Son and his GF, all have
Windows based PC's. He is still running 9.x. You cannot install anything on
it. Sorry Need OS X :P LOL. I wrote them and told them once they see
Grandma's they are going to run to www.macsales.com for cheap good memory
and grab X.

Thank you very much Ross,
Eric