[CTS] Re: Online payment service PayPal hit by scam

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:55:27 -0700

I found the apps that seem to work the best, but with rent due, a $651 water
bill, the plumber to fix the busted shower handle/valve, I think I'm gonna
have to put off buying that app until things settles down a bit! :-( When it
rains, it sure in hell pours! :-O

I'll paste here my thoughts/observations I posted on another list:

Well so far I have used the following:

Recover It All (Demo) This one won't let you recover anything!

PC Inspector File Recovery (Freeware) (gets to a certain point and the
program crashes In XP and W2K Pro)

Zero Assumption Recovery. (share/crippleware)

R-Studio (share/crippleware)  This one looks to be the best of the bunch,
but only has a 64k limit, which I think is totally outragious seeing that
for the most part, if anyone had to recover anything that small wouldn't pay
to recover that, unless it was a top secret document. <shrug> I have to say
it's cheaper than ZAR and seem to do more.

R-Studio found a LOT of stuff, but it seems that some of it looks to be
encrypted. Although it wasn't originally. :-O I did have a folder (with a
whole bunch of sub-folders) that was hidden with Magic Folder, but that
shouldn't have affected the others. Well I'm about to try yet another
program and see what's up with that one. I did manage to get a lot of my
music files back, but only about a half, or close to it (so far)!  I REALLY
wanted to get my graphics back. I do have a lot of thoseon CD's, but there's
a lot that I don't, esepcially my kids pics. I could go out and buy another
scanner, but I'm protesting because I have a scanner and the company refuses
to support it with drivers for W2K and XP. I'm NOT going to install Win98 or
ME just to use the scanner. :-(

---------------

Actually Final Data has overtaken R-Studio as the best so far. It turned out
to be like RIA (Recover It All) that it only teases you, which only makes me
madder, especially since it ran for 40 minutes before I stopped it, then
tell me I couldn't save not ONE byte? Or was that bit? <grrr>  However, it
did/done a better job at showing you exactly what is there, the folders and
files where they're suppose to be and so forth. A couple of the programs
just found stuff and you had to figure out what goes where and so forth! :-O

I wish that drive was a FAT drive, I could save $20! :-O

---
Look OUT you varmints, This msg is  Virus Free!

Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/faq

http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/other_cts_lists.htm