[CTS] Re: Mouse, Keyboard and Computer not talking

  • From: Hal Brown <hal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:49:26 -0400

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:37:52PM -0500, Otho & Shirley duly noted:

>I have a Gateway G6-400 that loses (?) the PS/2 keyboard and mouse at the
>same time on startup.  Reinstalled W98 and at the Choose the Time Zone
>screen the KB and mouse stopped communicating.  On boot from a floppy the
>keyboard hangs up (sometimes) at the Choose CD ROM support screen. If you
>let it time out it boots up but without keyboard support.  I have been in
>safe mode operating normally.  I get the "Windows did not detect a mouse
>attached to the computer..." message on some startups. When the message is
>on the screen, the system beeps like crazy when the mouse is moved.  The
>mouse and KB work fine on another system. 1. Any ideas? 2. Would a USB mouse
>and keyboard work around the problem?  3. Is it the motherboard?
>Otho
--------end quoted text----------

Obviously make certain they're plugged in and actually making a connection
first.  Hit Del (or whatever) and look in the BIOS; see if it sees them, and
that they are
enabled.  If not you have a hardware problem and yes, you're going to need a
new MoBo, unless you can actually see what the problem is.

--
Hal Brown
mailto: hal@xxxxxxxx

List HowTo: http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/faq