[CTS] Re: Lights!

  • From: Cuffy <cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:54:27 -0800

Jackie.................

About 60 years ago (I was much younger then !) I was a brand new Boy Scout and had sworn to Do My Duty !
WW11 was about over and every little town had a War Surplus Store. Our local store was in an old mill and had an inventory larger than Macy's at the mall.
Included in his inventory were large baskets of photographic type flash bulbs, the metal bases so corroded they were considered worthless. Old Tony, the owner, was selling these bulbs for about ten cents a hundred and the market was down, way down !
Alongside the flash bulbs he had a couple of barrels of old military issue "D" cells for the old military flashlights. They too, were badly corroded so you really had to do some scraping to make an electrical contact, and you never knew if they were completely dead or not.
My buddy and I figured that with the right contraption, and a "D"cell, we could cork off the flashbulbs. Not owning a camera we had no use for the bulbs except to speerment ! We rounded up a couple of nickels, bought a nickels worth of the bulbs and the batteries, perfected our contraption, and waited until way after dark, way after !
The WPA had built a dam across a stream not far from our homes, and below the dam for a mile or so there was a two wheel track road, probably put there so the maintenance crew could clean up the debris that went over and around the dam when the ice went out in the spring. The little road was kept neatly packed during the summer when it was used as the local lovers lane. It wandered along the stream in the brush and trees that lined the stream and made an ideal lovers lane.
It was alway good sport for us kids to sneak down there very quietly and bang on the trunk lid of a parked car. It varied, but you could alway expect some kind of "citement" before running like hell to keep from getting caught !
All in the interest of science we sneaked down there with our new cache of goodies from Tony's.
Once we got close to a car we put our plan in motion and stuck the new tool up by a window where we corked off a flashbulb.
If you really want to know what people do in the dark I'm in a position to answer your questions.
My only regret in gaining all this knowledge is that we didn't have a camera. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, the couples in the cars had no idea we didn't use a camera. I never told until just now !!!
I saw my "Duty" and did it, as any good Boy Scout should.

hee hee hee

====================================

CRAZYDOVE@xxxxxxx wrote:
Yessiree Bob...errrrrrrrrr...Charles!!! LOLOL! *wink*
Jackie ;)
In a message dated 1/15/2006 8:59:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    And I betcha sticking to it, right? :-)

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:10:52 EST, CRAZYDOVE@xxxxxxx took time to
    say the following:

    C> Ummmmmmm..Joe..which Jackie...????   Not that I am gonna tell
    WHAT I do in the dark..but it involves alot of stumbling and
    cursing, at least that's MY story!!!!!!!!!!!!   *BG*