[CTS] Re: Back to School ?

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:21:17 -0500

They shut down the airfield after Vietnam - too loud I guess which is what
helped put Chanute AFB on the kill list rather than another ATC base...now
the runways are open for light and medium sized aircraft up to about the
size of a C-123 Provider. I did see one aircraft come into Chanute despite
closed airfield - a B-52D was pulled from mothballs at Davis-Monthan and
made flightworthy, flown ever so carefully into the short runways of Chanute
in mid 83 when I was there for reraining. You don't realize how big those
SOBs are until they fly over your head at less than 500 ft trying to make
their last, but sucessful, landing.

In 90 that same plane was ground into a pile of aluminum allow scrap as part
of the US-Soviet START treatise. What a shame. The front cabin of the other
B-52D or E that was removed for egress training, is still there now as a
display/tourist thingy. I know the curator Don Weckhorst very well - he was
a retired E9 teaching classes at the local community college plus running
the base historians's job and retiree affairs - and still does the historian
and retiree affairs jobs without any pay - he just loves what he does and
his E9 pay isn't bad either for 30 yrs service.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm