[COMP] Re: computer becoming slow REFORMAT!!! John

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:34:02 -0500

CRAZYDOVE@xxxxxxx wrote:

> John..who exactly made up this rule about reformatting every year? Does it
> come with the Windows Install instructions?  Just curious.  I've been running
> Windows on my machines for over a year and they work just as well as they did
> when I first got them.  A scandisk and defrag do wonders for slow running
> pc's.

Well, it's in no manual anywhere (such a thing would make Microsoft look
bad, right? :)), but it's a sort of unspoken rule for me, and I'm sure a
lot would agree.

It really boils down to the kludge that is the windows registry.  The
longer your machine runs (especially when you install lots of software),
the larger that beast gets.  Windows will always keep the whole thing in
memory, so you can see where things get slow after a while.

I always used to like formatting just for the heck of it, too.  After a
few months, I'd start to forget that I had installed stuff, and my disk
would get smaller and smaller.  I've still got that problem now, but
with linux, there's no registry, so other than disk space, it doesn't
matter.

My girlfriend just got a 20 gig 7200 Rpm Seagate. =)  I did a complete
Slackware install on it (996 megs of software) in just about 10 minutes
last night.  She's only got a 333, too.:)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org