Re: [COMP] Linux newbie (a week)

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:28:25 -0500

> Will the exe? show up in the X menu's automatically?

No... You'll have to add it there manually.  Thing is, E's a window manager, not
just an ordinary application.  It's equivalent to replacing Explorer in windows.
What I usually do is have my window manager run from my ~/.xinitrc file.  I just
put a line in there that says 'wmaker' to launch windowmaker, my favorite
manager.  To switch to enlightenment, I replace 'wmaker' with 'enlightenment.'
That's easier than adding it to the menus anyway.  Windowmaker on Slackware did
come with other window managers in the Exit menu, that allowed you to "exit
windowmaker and start ___," but I have a feeling the guys at slackware were
responsible for putting those in there.

John

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org