Re: [COMP] Linux newbie (a week)

  • From: James Gosnell <goose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:01:40 -0500

John Madden wrote:

> Bob Rogers wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >          I've been messing with RHLinux 5.2 and I'd like to install some
> > programs
> > on my system. Problem is I can't open the .tgz archives. I've copied
> > enlightenment.tgz to the root dir and tried gunzip and tar but have been
> > unable to get it to work.
>
> What were you trying to use to open it?  *.tgz is generally a Slackware
> tarball;
> Redhat generally uses RPM, a widely-accepted format.  First, try getting the
> RPM
> from the site, and if that doesn't work for ya, here's the syntax for the tar
> commands to deal with that tgz:
>
> gzip -d filename.tgz
> tar xvf filename.tar  (this is created from the original file)
>
> That'll create directories that all the stuff is supposed to go in, like
> /usr/X11R6/bin, yada yada, so I suggest you untar this at your root directory
> (/),
> so it'll automatically place everything.  There's a -C (?) parameter to
> specify a
> starting directory too, so you can go tar -C / xvf filename.tar
>
> >       Also, at boot linux hangs for about a minute while starting sendmail,
> > is
>
> > that normal?
>
> This is a well-documented problem, and a quick fix.  The problem is that
> sendmail
> sits there trying to look up 'localhost' or something, which is just plain
> goofy.
> I forget the exact fix, but it envolves adding 'localhost' to a file.  Try
> putting
> the line:
>
> 127.0.0.1        localhost
>
> in /etc/hosts  That should fix you up.  If not, clobber me, and I'll seek out
> the
> correct answer. :)
>
> HTH.
>
> John

> Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org

RedHat has a localhost problem for some reason or another. You have to beware
of this
at all times when installing new software. If it doesn't matter whether you
entere ip
or host name, go for ip. My SW 7.0 is working nicely, I switched last week. If
you
like RedHat I'd recommend 6.1 which wowwed me at first installation.

james

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org