Re: [COMP] Linux newbie (a week)

  • From: Bob Rogers <b.rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:23:08 +1100

Hi John,
>>          I've been messing with RHLinux 5.2 and I'd like to install some
programs
>> on my system. Problem is I can't open the .tgz archives. I've copied
>> enlightenment.tgz to the root dir and tried gunzip and tar but have been
>> unable to get it to work.
>
>What were you trying to use to open it?

Gunzip was what I tried to use but must have misunderstood the syntax :(

> *.tgz is generally a Slackware tarball;

Till now I didn't know the difference. :)

>Redhat generally uses RPM, a widely-accepted format.  First, try getting
the RPM
>from the site, and if that doesn't work for ya, here's the syntax for the tar
>commands to deal with that tgz:

OK, the reason I was trying to use the 'tarball' is because I've got a few
Linux programs on CD's that came free with magazines.

>gzip -d filename.tgz
>tar xvf filename.tar  (this is created from the original file)

Ahh thats the way it's done, thank you.

>That'll create directories that all the stuff is supposed to go in, like
>/usr/X11R6/bin, yada yada, so I suggest you untar this at your root
directory (/),
>so it'll automatically place everything.  There's a -C (?) parameter to
specify a
>starting directory too, so you can go tar -C / xvf filename.tar

Will the exe? show up in the X menu's automatically?

>>       Also, at boot linux hangs for about a minute while starting
sendmail, is

>> that normal?
>
>This is a well-documented problem, and a quick fix.  The problem is that
sendmail
>sits there trying to look up 'localhost' or something, which is just plain
goofy.
>I forget the exact fix, but it envolves adding 'localhost' to a file.  Try
putting
>the line:
>
>127.0.0.1        localhost
>
>in /etc/hosts  That should fix you up.  If not, clobber me, and I'll seek
out the
>correct answer. :)

I'll try that, Thank you.

bob