Re: something slimy this way comes

  • From: Mysti Rudd <Mysti.Rudd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:27:26 -0500

Today as I was walking from my parking place behind the library to my office a
block away, i felt something cold slide down my cleavage (no, it wasn't the
shudder of a dissertation project barely begun). Well, when this happens, your
first instinct is to stick your hand down your own button-down shirt for
investigate rather than titillating purposes. and if you retrieve nothing, you
are tempted to set down your book bag, purse, coffee, and keys and use your
other hand, too, to enter at your navel and come up from underneath in order to
trap the suspecting person/place/or thing above your heart.  It worked--sort
of-- as my hands met in a houdini handshake, clasping the 2$ earing that had
initiated this yoga pose in the first place.
The only problem was--twenty workmen were pouring concrete on a plaza being
built in front of the library (actually, 18 were standing around and 2 were
running machines)and witnessed this whole fiasco--Clapping as loudly as they
could without using their hands.  Could this possibly count as my community
service for the day?

Speaking of, I was in Houston the other day, at one of those stoplights that
takes forever to change to green, two feet away from a young man who barely had
arms. One was cut off at the biceps, the other was fitted with a prosthesis at
the elbow, yet still he was trying to hold his sign flat open in the interstate
wind, using his stub and his hook. He looked like a Bosnian refugee to me--and
I had no money--absolutely none--in the car to give him.  I felt like giving
him my credit card--or Shawn's leftover fish-n-chips from the restaurant
or--and this doesn't make any sense at all --the keys to my car. and to walk
away from it all--my life, my debts, my responsibilities. I imagined that Shawn
and I could sleep on a park bench, cover ourselves with cardboard, and learn to
get along with everyone--absolutely everyone. Sure, there would be less
cheesecake in our lives, but maybe more meaning.

On a more postive note (not really, I just said that to appeal to the pollyanna
in everyone), i plan on sharing my website with my comp students today to teach
them about writing through resistance. Remember when i took language and
technology and told Mike williamson that i didn't see why i was required to
take his class, that i thought of website construction and maintenance like car
repair--in other words, i would rather hire an expert.  Well, many of my
students aren't reading or writing in their journals, so i want them to come
clean (in their journals, at least) about not wanting to be here , about
wanting to get an education without getting their feet wet. (okay--i realize i
am projecting since i don't want to be here either!!) or perhaps i should take
my own advice and write a dissertation on not wanting to write a dissertation.

Really--i do want some things. it's just that i'm keeping this list a secret
right now--even from myself.

Do you wish I typed less and baked cookies more?? me too!

Mysti in Manhattan