[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2015-10-04, 10 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 23:44:28 +0000 (UTC)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: nep-mig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 4, 2015 6:24 PM
Subject: [nep-mig] 2015-10-04, 10 papers

nep-mig 2015-10-04 papers#yiv6976016351 body {font-family:verdana, arial,
univers, helvetica,
sans-serif;border-style:solid;border-width:4px;border-color:#008241;padding:4px;margin:0px;height:100%;line-height:1.3;}#yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351h2 {font-size:2em;}#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351riban
{font-size:1.25em;}#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351doc_th
{padding-right:2em;font-style:italic;}#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351doc_td
{padding-right:2em;}#yiv6976016351 #yiv6976016351edition_column
{border-right:0px;border-color:#008241;border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:4px;border-right-style:solid;border-right-width:2px;}#yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351advert
{color:#FFFFFF;padding-left:4px;padding-top:2px;padding-bottom:2px;padding-right:2px;margin-top:4px;background-color:#008241;font-size:1.125em;font-weight:500;}#yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351advert a:link {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv6976016351
span.yiv6976016351paper_title {font-weight:600;}#yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351advert a:visited {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351riban_left_table {width:100%;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351riban_table {width:100%;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351issue_service_name_td {text-align:right;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351snake_table {width:100%;border-spacing:0px;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351repad_cell
{border-color:#008241;border-spacing:0px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-width:2px;border-bottom-style:solid;border-bottom-width:4px;}#yiv6976016351
var {font-family:monospace;font-style:oblique;}#yiv6976016351 #yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351report_handle {display:inline-block;width:5em;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351year_count
{display:inline-block;width:3em;}#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351listhead,
#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351headbarlist td
{font-size:1.25em;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351noborder {border-width:0pt;}#yiv6976016351 h2, #yiv6976016351 h3,
#yiv6976016351 h4 {color:#008241;}#yiv6976016351 h4 em
{color:#000000;font-variant:normal;}#yiv6976016351 a:link
{color:#008241;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6976016351 a:visited
{color:#004010;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6976016351 a:active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6976016351 a:hover
{color:#0000ff;}#yiv6976016351 a.yiv6976016351external:link
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6976016351
a.yiv6976016351external :visited
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6976016351
a.yiv6976016351external :active
{color:#000000;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6976016351
a.yiv6976016351external :hover {color:#000000;}#yiv6976016351 hr
{color:#008241;background-color:#008241;height:4px;}#yiv6976016351
table.yiv6976016351headbar
{width:100%;background-color:#008241;color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv6976016351
table.yiv6976016351headbar a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv6976016351
td.yiv6976016351issue_paper_row_name
{width:7em;vertical-align:top;}#yiv6976016351 #yiv6976016351issue_papers_table
{margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}#yiv6976016351
table.yiv6976016351headbarlist a {color:#FFFFFF;}#yiv6976016351
#yiv6976016351validator {display:none;}#yiv6976016351 #yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351prompt {background-color:#dddddd;}#yiv6976016351
.yiv6976016351footer
{font-size:.83em;border-top-style:solid;padding-top:4px;border-top-width:4px;border-top-color:#008241;}@media
{#yiv6976016351 table.yiv6976016351headbar
{color:black;background-color:white;}#yiv6976016351 a
{text-decoration:none;color:black;}#yiv6976016351 body
{border:0pt;}#yiv6976016351 img, #yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351noprint
{display:none;}#yiv6976016351 .yiv6976016351silentlink
{display:none;}#yiv6976016351 p, #yiv6976016351 td, #yiv6976016351 th,
#yiv6976016351 li, #yiv6976016351 div {font-size:10pt;}}

| nep-mig | New Economics Papers |

| on Economics of Human Migration |

| Issue of 2015‒10‒04
ten papers chosen by
Yuji Tamura
La Trobe University
http://econpapers.repec.org/pta90
| |

- The effect of board directors from countries with different genetic
diversity levels on corporate performanceDelis, Mantos D.; Gaganis,
Chrysovalantis; Hasan, Iftekhar; Pasiouras, Fotios
- Temperature Changes, Household Consumption and Internal Migration:
Evidence from TanzaniaKalle Hirvonen
- Risk Sharing and Internal MigrationJoachim De Weerdt; Kalle Hirvonen
- Risk Attitudes and MigrationAkgüc, Mehtap; Liu, Xingfei; Tani,
Massimiliano; Zimmermann, Klaus F.
- Illegal migration and consumption behavior of immigrant
householdsChristian Dustmann; Francesco Fasani; Biagio Speciale
- Social Networks, Ethnicity, and EntrepreneurshipWilliam R. Kerr; Martin
Mandorff
- Environmental Tax Reform in a Federation with Rent-Induced
MigrationJean-Denis GARON; Charles SÉGUIN
- The Macroeconomics of Rural-Urban MigrationMike Waugh; David Lagakos
- Immigrant Employment and Earnings Growth in Canada and the U.S.: Evidence
from Longitudinal DataNeeraj Kaushal; Yao Lu; Nicole Denier; Julia Shu-Huah
Wang; Stephen J. Trejo
- The Wage Impact of the Marielitos: A ReappraisalGeorge J. Borjas

- The effect of board directors from countries with different genetic
diversity levels on corporate performance
| Date: | 2015-08-17 |
| By: | Delis, Mantos D. (University of Surrey) ; Gaganis,
Chrysovalantis (University of Crete) ; Hasan, Iftekhar (Gabelli School of
Business, Fordham University and Bank of Finland) ; Pasiouras, Fotios
(University of Surrey, UK, and University of Crete) |
| We link genetic diversity in the country of origin of the firms’ board
members with corporate performance via board members’ nationality. We
hypothesize that our approach captures deep-rooted differences in cultural,
institutional, social, psychological, physiological, and other traits that
cannot be captured by other recently measured indices of diversity. Using a
panel of firms listed in the North American and U.K. stock markets, we find
that adding board directors from countries with different levels of genetic
diversity (either higher or lower) increases firm performance. This effect
prevails when we control for a number of cultural, institutional, firm-level,
and board member characteristics, as well as for the nationality of the board
of directors. To identify the relationship, we use as instrumental variables
for our diversity indices the migratory distance from East Africa and the level
of ultraviolet exposure in the directors’ country of nationality. |

- Temperature Changes, Household Consumption and Internal Migration:
Evidence from Tanzania
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | Kalle Hirvonen (Development Strategy And Governance,
International Food Policy Research Institute) |
| Large rural-urban wage gaps observed in many developing countries are
suggestive of barriers to migration that keep potential migrants in the rural
areas. Using long panel data spanning nearly two decades, I study the extent to
which migration rates are constrained by liquidity constraints in rural
Tanzania. The analysis begins by quantifying the impact of weather variation on
household welfare. The results show how household consumption co-moves with
temperature rendering households vulnerable to local weather events. These
temperature induced income shocks are then found to inhibit long-term migration
among men, and thus preventing them from tapping into the opportunities brought
about by geographical mobility. |

- Risk Sharing and Internal Migration
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | Joachim De Weerdt (Institute of Development Policy and
Management, University of Antwerp) ; Kalle Hirvonen (Development Strategy And
Governance, International Food Policy Research Institute) |
| Over the past two decades, more than half the population in our sample
of rural Tanzanians has migrated out of their home-communities. We hypothesize
that this powerful current of internal migrants is changing the nature of
traditional institutions such as informal risk sharing. Mass internal migration
has created geographically disperse networks, on which we collected detailed
panel data. By quantifying how shocks and consumption co-vary across linked
households we show that, while both migrants and stayers insure negative shocks
to stayers, there is no one in the network who insures the migrants’ negative
shocks. While migrants do share some of their positive shocks, they ultimately
end up nearly twice as rich as those at home by 2010, despite practically
identical baseline positions in the early nineties prior to migration. Taken
together, these findings point to migration as a risky, but profitable
endeavour, for which the migrant will bear the risk and also reap most of the
benefit. We interpret these results within the existing literature on
risk-sharing and on the disincentive effects of redistributive norms. |

- Risk Attitudes and Migration
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | Akgüc, Mehtap (Center for European Policy Studies (CEPS)) ;
Liu, Xingfei (Ryerson University) ; Tani, Massimiliano (IZA) ; Zimmermann,
Klaus F. (IZA and University of Bonn) |
| To contribute to a scarce literature, in particular for developing and
emerging economies, we study the nature of measured risk attitudes and their
consequences for migration. We also investigate whether substantial changes in
the risk environment influences risk tolerance. Using the 2009 RUMiC data for
China, we find that rural-urban migrants and their family members are
substantially less risk-averse than stayers. We further provide evidence that
individual risk attitudes are unaffected by substantial changes in the
environment and that risk tolerance is correlated across generations. |

- Illegal migration and consumption behavior of immigrant households
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | Christian Dustmann ; Francesco Fasani (Queen Mary University)
; Biagio Speciale (Université Paris 1) |
| We analyze the effect of immigrants’ legal status on their
consumption behavior using unique survey data that samples both documented and
undocumented immigrants. To address the problem of sorting into legal status,
we propose two alternative identification strategies as exogenous source of
variation for current legal status: First, transitory income shocks in the home
country, measured as rainfall shocks at the time of emigration. Second, amnesty
quotas that grant legal residence status to undocumented immigrants. Both
sources of variation create a strong first stage, and – although very
different in nature – lead to similar estimates of the effects of illegal
status on consumption, with undocumented immigrants consuming about 40 percent
less than documented immigrants, conditional on background characteristics.
Roughly one quarter of this decrease is explained by undocumented immigrants
having lower incomes than documented immigrants. Our findings imply that
legalization programs may have a potentially important effect on
immigrants’consumption behavior, with consequences for both the source and
host countries. |

- Social Networks, Ethnicity, and Entrepreneurship
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | William R. Kerr ; Martin Mandorff |
| We study the relationship between ethnicity, occupational choice, and
entrepreneurship. Immigrant groups in the United States cluster in specific
business sectors. For example, Koreans are 34 times more likely than other
immigrants to operate dry cleaners, and Gujarati-speaking Indians are 108 times
more likely to manage motels. We develop a model of social interactions where
non-work relationships facilitate the acquisition of sector-specific skills.
The resulting scale economies generate occupational stratification along ethnic
lines, consistent with the reoccurring phenomenon of small, socially-isolated
groups achieving considerable economic success via concentrated
entrepreneurship. Empirical evidence from the United States supports our
model's underlying mechanisms. |
| JEL: | D21 D22 D85 F22 J15 L14 L26 M13 |

- Environmental Tax Reform in a Federation with Rent-Induced Migration
| Date: | 2015 |
| By: | Jean-Denis GARON ; Charles SÉGUIN |
| We study the welfare effects of a revenue-neutral green tax reform in a
federation. The reform consists of increasing a tax on a polluting input and
reducing that on labor income. Households are fully mobile within the
federation. Regions are unequally endowed with a nonrenewable natural resource.
Resource rents are owned by regions and are redistributed to citizens on a
residence basis, which generates a motive for inefficiently relocating to the
resource-rich jurisdiction. Since the resource-poor region has a higher
marginal product of labor than does the resource-rich region, the tax reform
mitigates the scope of inefficient migration. This positive welfare effect may
significantly reduce abatement costs of pollution and calls for higher
environmental tax, as compared with a model where migration is assumed away. |

- The Macroeconomics of Rural-Urban Migration
| Date: | 2015 |
| By: | Mike Waugh (New York University) ; David Lagakos (University
of California, San Diego) |
| This paper uses new tracking surveys for several developing countries
to analyze rural-urban migration and their macroeconomic implications. We
document that migrants from rural to urban areas typically experience large
consumption growth one year after migrating, though overall migration rates are
low. To understand these facts we build a model that generates a rural-urban
gap in average consumption due to three factors: income risk from migration,
worker sorting, and disutility from migration. We structurally estimate the
model and assess the relative importance of each factor in explaining
rural-urban consumption gaps. We then cross-check the model's predictions using
evidence from a controlled migration experiment. Quantitative experiments using
the model provide guidance about the quantitative importance of migration
policy on aggregate consumption growth. |

- Immigrant Employment and Earnings Growth in Canada and the U.S.: Evidence
from Longitudinal Data
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | Neeraj Kaushal ; Yao Lu ; Nicole Denier ; Julia Shu-Huah Wang
; Stephen J. Trejo |
| We study the short-term trajectories of employment, hours worked, and
real wages of immigrants in Canada and the U.S. using nationally representative
longitudinal datasets covering 1996-2008. Models with person fixed effects show
that on average immigrant men in Canada do not experience any relative growth
in these three outcomes compared to men born in Canada. Immigrant men in the
U.S., on the other hand, experience positive annual growth in all three domains
relative to U.S. born men. This difference is largely on account of
low-educated immigrant men, who experience faster or longer periods of relative
growth in employment and wages in the U.S. than in Canada. We further compare
longitudinal and cross-sectional trajectories and find that the latter
over-estimate wage growth of earlier arrivals, presumably reflecting selective
return migration. |
| JEL: | J15 J18 |

- The Wage Impact of the Marielitos: A Reappraisal
| Date: | 2015-09 |
| By: | George J. Borjas |
| This paper brings a new perspective to the analysis of the Mariel
supply shock, revisiting the question and the data armed with the accumulated
insights from the vast literature on the economic impact of immigration. A
crucial lesson from this literature is that any credible attempt to measure the
wage impact of immigration must carefully match the skills of the immigrants
with those of the pre-existing workforce. The Marielitos were
disproportionately low-skill; at least 60 percent were high school dropouts. A
reappraisal of the Mariel evidence, specifically examining the evolution of
wages in the low-skill group most likely to be affected, quickly overturns the
finding that Mariel did not affect Miami’s wage structure. The absolute wage of
high school dropouts in Miami dropped dramatically, as did the wage of high
school dropouts relative to that of either high school graduates or college
graduates. The drop in the relative wage of the least educated Miamians was
substantial (10 to 30 percent), implying an elasticity of wages with respect to
the number of workers between -0.5 and -1.5. In fact, comparing the magnitude
of the steep post-Mariel drop in the low-skill wage in Miami with that observed
in all other metropolitan areas over an equivalent time span between 1977 and
2001 reveals that the change in the Miami wage structure was a very unusual
event. The analysis also documents the sensitivity of the estimated wage impact
to the choice of a placebo. The measured impact is much smaller when the
placebo consists of cities where pre-Mariel employment growth was weak relative
to Miami. |
| JEL: | J2 J31 J61 |

This nep-mig issue comes without any express or implied warranty. You may
contact the editor by reply to this mail. General information on the NEP
project can be found at http://nep.repec.org. For comments please write to the
director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director @ nep point repec point org >.Use
http://lists.repec.org/mailman/options/nep-mig to sign off.