Re: Confidentiality/ Privilege for MHP in Collaborative Practice

  • From: abuschophd@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:32:39 -0800

My understanding is that "mental health" treatment is privileged and that "coaching" is not mental health treatment. I would like this to be tested since we would argue that we are using mental health services in our coaching model and that the informed consent states clearly that we will consider the information privileged. In reality it is a gray area that needs IMHO a statute or something specific to this type of coaching to protect us.

Any other thoughts about this topic? Are MHPs feeling vulnerable about this? Any legal testing that you know of?

Ann Buscho, Ph.D.
www.DrAnnBuscho.com

Sent by iPhone's ridiculously tiny keyboard. Please excuse errors.