Re: [CollabLaw] ABA Ethics Opinion

  • From: John Crouch <divorce@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:28:57 -0400

Douglas J. Sanderson  wrote:

Well that's a breath of fresh air and common sense reasoning in the
new ABA opinion! Note, too, that the opinion refers repeatedly to a
"four-way agreement" -- presumably, a SINGLE agreement with both
clients and both attorneys signing. So do we go back to that?

-- -- --

Personally, I prefer it to be a two-way contract anyway. I think we need to emphasize that it's the clients who choose the process and make the other major settlement decisions, not the lawyers. And I think the best way to avoid 4-way privity-of-contract (purely as a matter of clarity and malpractice-liability prevention, completely aside from notions of conflict of interest arising from it) is to not sign a 4-way contract, rather than signing one and including a bunch of disclaimers about how your signing it doesn't really create a contract with everyone else. That kind of stuff doesn't set a great example for the clients, and might make them cynical and/or confused.
--
John Crouch
Crouch & Crouch