[cochiselinux] Re: Inspiron laptop problems with Knoppix

  • From: Lawrence LaBranche <capdiamont.labranche@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 22:38:01 -0700

My wife has a 5100. Although I've never tried to install Linux on it. I hate
it. I prefer my old IBM 600e to it. It overheats like mad, and is slow as a
dog. It has already been repaired once. The replaced the heatsink and the
cpu. We have a friend that has a 5100 also, and says the same thing. Most of
the time it will shut down properly, some of the time you will have to pull
the battery. All she runs is windows.

My advice to everyone out there, avoid the 5100's.

On Sunday 06 June 2004 22:07, you wrote:
> Larry;
> Thanks for finding this site. I have book marked it. I did not see anything
> that would help with my two models (1100 and 5100) I did not look at other
> models, will do that in the next couple of days.
> Again thanks for the time you took.
> Millie g.
>
> At 08:48 AM 6/5/2004 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hi Millie,
> >is there a CMOS setting that says something
> >like "Power off on Shutdown" or something like that?
> >
> >There's several pages on Linux and Dell laptops of all models
> >at
> >
> >http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
> >
> >Click Dell.
> >
> >You might find a page with some promising information.
> >I saw several items about power management and X-Windows
> >configurations to get the full screen.
> >I also saw some posts about Inspirons having a faulty
> >bios that requires upgrading, heat problems, and
> >recompiling kernels.
> >
> >|Dick Sears wrote:
> >|I have an Inspiron 8200 dual boot machine in which Ihave never had any
> >|shutdown problems with Red Hat 9.0,
> >|but the screen is only about 65% of the available screen.
> >|I haven't tried Knoppix on it, but have on another Dell,
> >|an Inspiron 5000e, and don't recall any shutdown problems.
> >
> >===================================
> >
> > >Millie Galliher wrote:
> > >I'm having some problems running Knoppix on my
> > >two laptops. On the Inspiron 5100, it loads from the CD and
> > >the screen is a full screen. It seems to work (using the Knoppix CD and
> > >running it from the CD). However, when I attempt to shut down, it goes
> > >through the process and says it successfully shut down. However, the
> > >screen
> > >is still on. The only way I can actually shut down the computer is by
> > >pulling the battery out! On the Inspiron 1100, it seems to load and
> > >work fine; however, the Knoppix
> > >screen only fills about 65% of the available screen. I have not been
> > >able to enlarge it to fill the whole screen.  Also, when I shut down,
> > >the screen goes through the procedure, then stops after it
> > >says "shutdown complete".
> > >However, in this situation, I CAN turn off the machine by pushing the
> > >off button.
> >
> >-- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Ecartis --
> >-- Type: application/ms-tnef
> >-- File: winmail.dat

-Lawrence LaBranche

Our personal website http://1stClass.mylargescale.com/Capdiamont/

Our nutritional product shopping website
http://www.relivonline.com/capdiamont/