[cochiselinux] Re: Inspiron laptop problems with Knoppix

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:48:16 -0700

Hi Millie,
is there a CMOS setting that says something
like "Power off on Shutdown" or something like that?

There's several pages on Linux and Dell laptops of all models
at

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Click Dell.

You might find a page with some promising information.
I saw several items about power management and X-Windows
configurations to get the full screen.
I also saw some posts about Inspirons having a faulty
bios that requires upgrading, heat problems, and
recompiling kernels.

===================================

>Millie Galliher wrote:
>I'm having some problems running Knoppix on my
>two laptops. On the Inspiron 5100, it loads from the CD and
>the screen is a full screen. It seems to work (using the Knoppix CD and
>running it from the CD). However, when I attempt to shut down, it goes
>through the process and says it successfully shut down. However, the
>screen
>is still on. The only way I can actually shut down the computer is by
>pulling the battery out! On the Inspiron 1100, it seems to load and
>work fine; however, the Knoppix
>screen only fills about 65% of the available screen. I have not been
>able to enlarge it to fill the whole screen.  Also, when I shut down,
>the screen goes through the procedure, then stops after it
>says "shutdown complete".
>However, in this situation, I CAN turn off the machine by pushing the
>off button.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat