[cisb102su01] CISB 102 L#4 Q#4

  • From: Seth Malow <SirSethMalow@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CISB 102 Listserv <cisb102su01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:41:10 -0400

Hello Everyone:

I'm writng to share my Telnet findings with all of you.  First off, I
didn't realize that the communications protocol behind Telnet pre-dates
the Internet.  According to http://oregonstate/.edu/aw/tutorials/telnet,
the Telnet protocol was develpoed in "the dark ages" as a means of
sending/receiving text between a main computer and its terminals.
Another thing I realized, upon visiting telnet://134.4.10.106,  is that
the Telnet protocol sends only text and presents it in a DOS-like
environment.  Navigating within this database was difficult (being so
used to a GUI interface!).  Despite these drawbacks, the speed at which
this text is sent is truly amazing!  I wish  TCP/IP was as fast!
Anyways, this was an interesting exercise.
--
May peace and good fortune come your way,

Seth McCabe Malow

"Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime
feel as indignant as those who are." - King Solomon