[chaoscope] Re: need help on large size renders

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:56:44 +0100

Hi Doug, hello all,

I made a really nice fractal and wanted to print it so I need a large size
render...I tried 1024x1024 (fits screen full) and did that OK, but still
needed higher resolution image so tried 4000x4000 and I ran into a couple
big problems....anyone have any suggestions???....

Wait for version 0.3!

1. Such a large image is 4x screen size (I'm using 1280x1024 19" screen) and
I can't hardly see the image (looks zoomed in too close)

2. Saved parameter does not orient the fractal the way I want to see it, so
need to rotate image but can't see what I'm doing because I only see about
1/4 of the image

3. Screen display runs so slow!!!! compared to 1024x1024 image....so slow I
need to wait 30 seconds between every action even tho I have a very fast PC
(WinXP, 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD, 9800XT video w/256MB memory, and dual
monitors)

On OpenGL, the viewport (portion of the screen reserved to rendering) isn't supposed to be bigger than the screen resolution. There's no need for it, obviously. So depending on your graphic card, it'll behave differently. On ATI Radeons, it's just filled with garbage.

4. Also when rendering, processor only runs at 50% for chaoscope, and its
the only app running.

Chaoscope isn't HT friendly, yet. Because we're using chaotic non-linear equations, we can't streamline the calculation, we can't run two iterations at the same time because each iteration requires the previous result as a parameter. There's a chance you can run two different equations at the same time, with two slightly different initial positions, but my research ("hit and miss coding" would be more appropriate) on the method are at a stand still. We could also allocate one "core" to the attractor equation while the other takes care of the rendering, and I'll try to implement that for 0.3. The problem is my processor is HT-free, so it may take a little while before you see Chaoscope using 100% of your processor resources. Don't expect a 100% speed gain though, HT processors haven't got two distinct cores and even if they had, they'd share the Level 2 cache so cache hits ratio could drop down significantly.

I setup screen by setting render image size when first start chaoscope, then
load desired saved parameter.

Is it true that parameter file does not save the orientation of the fractal
and I need to setup view each time I load?

Yes, the only information saved is the type of attractor and its parameters. All the rest is lost once you close the project.

Is there a better way? I could not find a "render to disk" which would seem
to be the best answer.

You won't need a render-to-disk feature, which can't be implemented anyway because the orbit positions are totally random, and you don't want to kill your hard drive just yet. :-)

I appreciate that chaoscope is in beta so can live with its
limitations...just want to be sure its the program and not me as operator.

Be assured it is the program, not the operator.

Nicolas Desprez