[chaoscope] need help on large size renders

  • From: "Doug Schafer" <ds-mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:12:09 -0400

I made a really nice fractal and wanted to print it so I need a large size
render...I tried 1024x1024 (fits screen full) and did that OK, but still
needed higher resolution image so tried 4000x4000 and I ran into a couple
big problems....anyone have any suggestions???....

1. Such a large image is 4x screen size (I'm using 1280x1024 19" screen) and
I can't hardly see the image (looks zoomed in too close)

2. Saved parameter does not orient the fractal the way I want to see it, so
need to rotate image but can't see what I'm doing because I only see about
1/4 of the image

3. Screen display runs so slow!!!! compared to 1024x1024 image....so slow I
need to wait 30 seconds between every action even tho I have a very fast PC
(WinXP, 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD, 9800XT video w/256MB memory, and dual
monitors)

4. Also when rendering, processor only runs at 50% for chaoscope, and its
the only app running.

I setup screen by setting render image size when first start chaoscope, then
load desired saved parameter.

Is it true that parameter file does not save the orientation of the fractal
and I need to setup view each time I load?

Is there a better way? I could not find a "render to disk" which would seem
to be the best answer.

I appreciate that chaoscope is in beta so can live with its
limitations...just want to be sure its the program and not me as operator.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated. Thanks
Doug.S