[chaoscope] Re: max resolution?

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:54:57 +0100

Hi James, hello all,

Is it my system, or is there a max resolution set about 4000 pixels? (I tried 8000 but it choked, dropped to 6000 and it choked, but 4000
worked).

for doing high res large size prints it would be nice to have a little
more headroom.  I realize with the dpi of murals its not critical but
I have a thing for sharpness even up close. :-)

Image size is currently limited by the maximum OpenGL viewport size, which varies from one graphic card model to the other. It's 4096x4096 for most "gaming orientated" high end VPUs.

This is an issue I'm currently working on, more on that in the next development update.

I been doing lots of experimenting and I have to say that I'm not
seeing an end to the excitement, inspiration, and possibilities of
this.

I did experiment with the color grad programs but only 1 worked of the
3.  And it seemed like a sort of hack app... it worked, but didn't
give me warm fuzzies like chaoscope does.  I look forward to it being
part of the program for one nonstop creative experience.

Built-it gradient edition has been a recurrent request, it'll probably be in the 0.4 feature list.

Another idea I've had for the program is to have it generate a faux
bump... user defines specularity (can be illusionary but Phong or
Blinn would be nice)... the bump could be based on color channels that
the user has control over.. bump the red green or blue channels... I
guess not unlike rendering lighting effects in photoshop.  Of course
this opens up the headache on the programming side of things as to
"where" is the light source?  to keep it simple for starters it could
default to upper left, and over time add user control to move the
light source and pic the type of light (hard/soft shading,
spot/distant/omni lights, color, etc)

You've mentioned the solid mode in your next post. What you're describing is a mix between Plasma and Solid mode, which isn't technically challenging. It will just be very resource intensive. I'm convinced it will be a valuable addition, considering what one can obtain with XenoDream in solid colored mode.

I LOVE the realtime feedback of the sliders HATS OFF to you for that
feature!!  Thank you.

You're welcome! Real time feedback is definitely the main concept behind Chaoscope. Strange attractors make it possible because you don't need so many iterations to have a clear idea of the final shape of the attractor.
I hate juggling with different windows, popups, dialog boxes and sub menus, this is why most of the user input is done through the main interface.

This program has made my jaw drop quite a few times with the things
that I've made with it.  I'm super impressed.

I hope you'll share your creations some time!

Nicolas Desprez