[chaoscope] Re: Where'd everybody go?

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 12:36:25 +0100

Hi Alan, hello all,

Lots of good questions!

I would like to see an "enhancements" button on gas rendering to make it into liquid and on light to plasma. (gas <--> liquid) and (light <--> plasma) are so similar to each other they could be merged as just two render types.

This is something I considered doing, i.e. adding a "z-buffer" check box. Gas/Liquid and Light/Plasma modes are split into different modes mostly for technical reasons, there are all distinct C++ classes. They will diverge more in terms of features in the long run, so I think it will make more sense to have separate modes later on.

In the new version can we change the resolution once we have started a fractal?

Yes.

wow this mailing list thing (at least with gmail) is like a forum thread in your email. confusing at first but now I think its great.

That's exactly what mailing-lists are about. :)

BTW. If anyone interested I contacted Bathsheba Grossman about having a chaoscope fractal lazered into a crystal (This <http://www.with-logic.co.uk/Show/Spikey.png> one) he said it cost $150 setup charge

Bathsheba is a "she". :-)
I believe the quote you got is high compared to the average price of her crystals because this is an ad-hoc order. A while ago, we discussed the possibility to market a Chaoscope-specific crystal which would be advertised on the web site and which would partly finance the project. Sounds good?

Can one be able to change the background color in solid rendering please. And possibly the lighting method. (Choose between fast lighting and accurate lighting), Do you use the Maxwell teqnecs for lighting, I wondered as the lighting seams pritty good.

Changing the background color will be possible in 0.3. There won't be any direct control on the lights position and color, apart from a random setup with Ctrl+R as mentioned before.
Not sure if I use Maxwell lighting technique, the code is adapted from POV-Ray. We could think of making shadows optional to speed things up. There will be a faster, albeit less smooth, solid render in 0.4.

Also once a fractal has been calculated why do I need to recalculate it when I rotate the fractal?

Because points aren't stored in memory. It would take 240Mb to store the result of 20 millions iterations, 12 bytes per point. I'm not sure that storing point coordinates on disk would speed things up. I know most high-end users have from 1Gb to 2Gb of RAM installed, so maybe this could be an option for speeding up renders, especially of the slowest equations. The upper limit would be something around 150 millions iterations with 2Gb of RAM.

"New equations: Chaotic Flow, Polynomial Function and Neural Network"
I haven't been able to find any images of 3D strange attractor fractals made of neural networks online, please could you post a screenshot.

I'm not sure there are any screenshots of Neural Network based attractors available online, but you can create your own with the following program found on Julien Sprott's web site:

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/software/nnet256.exe

Chaotic Flows would also be hard to find as the equation was created specifically for Chaoscope.

I hope I answered all of your questions!

Nicolas Desprez