[chaoscope] Re: Suggestion

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:05:40 +0100

Hi Drew, hello all,

Here is a suggestion that I would find very useful in a future release:

Somehow allow us to know which gradients are currently in use. Currently, I have several hundred gradients to choose from, and when I'm trying out different ones to find one that looks good with a particular attractor I often am going through them fairly quickly. Then, when I find one that appeals to me I typically do several test renders. Ultimately, when I go to save them for the List, or come back to them to do a high resolution render for my Renderosity gallery, I've often forgotten which gradients were used. This is very frustrating.

In version 0.3, gradients will be part of the project file, and to enable users to exchange projects, they'll be embedded in the file (instead of a link pointing to the gradient file). But in your case, you still want to know what gradient was used for any given project, so the file name should be stored as well.

It would be nice to have the name of the gradient file appear when the mouse is held over the gradient bar. If that's not easy to do, then maybe when the gradient bar is clicked the name of the current gradient (and the path to it) could come up as the default text in the "File Name" window.

Shouldn't be much of a challenge to add a tooltip on the gradient property displaying the name of the current gradient file, or the file name as it was stored in the project.

Ultimately, you will get a gradient editor and browser, which will make your life easier especially if you've got plenty of gradients. :-)

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez