[chaoscope] Re: Some Questions from a Newbie

  • From: "steve banhegyi" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:23:53 +0200

Hi there Nicholas
That all sounds really awesome. I can see how rewarding you must find
working on something like this. I have used the program with  students in an
MBA programme called the 'aesthetics of change management' where we put a
lot of emphasis on systems theory...so in that world an individual's
identity, life cycles or even organisational culture are strange attractors
and your ability to model and navigate complex systems in 3d colour helps
people experience this in a powerful way. So way cool.

Thanks again

Steve

-- Steve Banhegyi Steve Banhegyi & Associates Exploring new territories in change and transformation Intabakayikhonjwa ububhibhi baseGoli steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Cell (South Africa) +27 (0)83 232-6047 / Fax +27 (0)86 635-4457 Web: http://www.trans4mation.co.za / http://www.storytelling.co.za / http://www.thoughtformz.com

On 22/06/06, Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Steve, hello all,

> A really great program and such inspirational images. Would love the
> ability to navigate in 3d around the object without it having to redraw
> with every changed POV but I suppose that a poor little 3GHz processor
> couldn't keep up with with that.

This will be partly addressed in 0.4. The attractor will be cached in
memory to increase render speed when only the view is changed. In the
longer term I want to use all available resources to make what you see
in the preview as close to a final render as possible. Currently
Chaoscope is far from being optimized, it makes no use of Pentium recent
generation instructions, HyperThreading, Intel SIMD extensions, AMD
3DNow extensions, dual core processors, multiprocessor motherboards or
GPU. I think we can safely estimate the potential gain in rendering
speed to be 80% or five times faster if the software was driving the
hardware at maximum speed. Adding to this other software trickeries I'm
sure we're not too far from a real time Solid Mode.

Regards,

Nicolas Desprez