[chaoscope] Re: Creating light/plasma patterns on a white background- a solution

  • From: "Sham B" <shamb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 17:45:07 +0100

Christian Weiß wrote:
Hi Sham,

thank you for sharing this information.
It sounds easy but IMHO wouldn't it be easier to work with a
transparent background?

Hi Christian

Yeah, absolutely, that works, but for me it doesn't always give exact colors when moving from black to white.

Best way is to simply try it; I find using a solid map as a mask for a gas/plasma render may give you gray areas where you might expect solid white.

I'm guessing but I think a solid mask implicitly assumes that the masked pattern is a 'solid object', whereas it is a semitransparent gas. Where you can see through the gas, the colors thus sometimes act as if the background is still black. This means that the contrast goes in some areas, and you can lose vibrancy and printabilitity in these areas.

So, I tried to devise a way to do it through bitwise inversion, as my site redesign would not be able to use the patterns unless the background is white always.

Essentially, I invert everything *except the background* in Chaoscope, and then invert *everything* in photoshop. This must keep the original colors the same, as inverting the color infomation twice gives you the original colors back (the reason the black turns to white is of course because I only invert the background once and !black = white). What I'm not 100% sure of is whether 'alpha' is preserved between the background and the pattern (I would need to sit down and prove it by dry running with values, but frankly, I've not done this as I'm more worried about the final result visuals!)

Sham