[chaoscope] Re: Hyperthreading and dual core CPUs

  • From: Kay Dekker <kaydekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:53:49 +0000 (GMT)

> Caching won't get you a 5x speed boost on all attractors, only the
> slowest equations. My very quick sloppy benchmark for Chaotic Flow gave
> a 50% gain but that's with the dual threaded render. It will depend on
> your CPU and your memory bandwidth really.

I'm currently using an Athlon 64 X2 dual core 3800+, so I'm hoping dual
threading will help. Really, any speed-up that you can give us is going to be
great!

> Possible. The issue is caused by the batch processing window being
> modal, so every time you restore a window (whichever it is) Chaoscope
> will pop back up. That's by design, I need to allow you to minimize the
> main application window during batch processing. I've seen it done so I
> know it's doable.

The biggest part of the problem is that it's the Batch window that's always
active, so I can't click on the title bar of the main window to move it away
from my Desktop icons if it's covering them. I've found a way to mostly work
around the problem (by finding and opening the Desktop folder), so it's just
one of those 'little awkwardnesses'. :)

Any chance I could help beta-test the new version when it's ready for testing?
I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment and a dual-core processor, so I
could give it a fairly thorough workout.

Kay