[chaoscope] Re: Beta .2

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:18:31 +0100

Hi,

 It seems almost as though it slows things down however...  For example,
 on Win98SE, I've had to click in the general area of where the text box
 should be twice in order for the border to appear (in order for the text
 box to have focus)...

It shouldn't happen, so you can consider it as a bug.

The (unfocused) controls you see on the palette are images, they are not Windows controls. When you click on a property, it sends a request to the palette asking for the controls it needs (text box, check box, slider, etc.). The palette creates them if they're not already available and adds them to a pool. The controls are allocated to the property, which initializes them, makes them visible (the border appears), then the palette duplicates the "mouse button down" message so that any control you clicked onto receives the message and takes the focus.

It's a rather complex process. Sometimes messages are not handled at all and you get a unresponsive interface as a result. I guess there's still a lot of work ahead.

 'Twas a slider, but, scrollbars = sliders, I think ;)  I'll let you know
 if it happens again, but I think it was really a memory issue on my
 end...  I'll keep my eyes open though :D

Scrollbars aren't sliders. Scrollbars are what you see on the borders of a window, sliders are what you see in the standard Windows Mixer. As a matter of fact, sliders have replaced scrollbars where they were used for anything else than scrolling the content of a window, so I guess your point is valid when it comes to old applications.

 Yay!  I was wondering about having the option to continue iterations
 without having to redo all of them...

I always forget about this one, it should be extremely easy to implement. Can you wait until version 0.3?

 Bravo! - excellent ideas.  I think that the 4th way would have much
 bigger implications further on down the line, when animations can be
 done via a script of some sort...  Have you looked at starting a render
 via scripts at all?  You seem to suggest that you have... (and that
 would be quite cool ;) )

The only thing that makes batch rendering impossible is you can't save a full project yet. Once this is implemented, it will be very simple to make Chaoscope parse a projects list and render them sequentially. Those with a multi-processors PC or Multi-Threading Pentium will see two (or more) pictures rendered at the same time. I'll probably work on a very basic script-maker for rotating animations (imagine a strange attractor in a micro-wave) and I'll leave the more advanced stuff to other programmers. I'll have to describe the project file format in detail.

There won't be an internal animation module in Chaoscope before version 1.0.

Nicolas Desprez