[chaoscope] A different way of handling the maximum iterations issue?

  • From: Kay Dekker <kaydekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 04:08:22 +0000 (GMT)

It's just occurred to me that instead of iterating a certain number of times,
it ought instead to be possible to iterate for a certain period of  time. The
granularity needn't be particularly fine - increments of ten seconds, perhaps?
- so that checking how much time has elapsed wouldn't be much of a processing
drain. I don't know Windows internals at all, but on UNIX-based systems such as
Linux I do know that it could be implemented quite simply and with very little
processor overhead. In this way those of us who need more iterations than the
current maximum permits could have them - I could just say "calculate for 240
minutes", or whatever, and come back in four hours or so to a very high quality
image.

If it is added, it ought to be as an alternative to the current mechanism,
because otherwise it would be hard to do benchmark tests such as the ones we
already have.

What do people think?

Kay