[ccoss] Re: woohoo! first post!

  • From: Bill <rivetwa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ccoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:15:52 -0500

Oops... You are of course 100%  correct!

You see, I forgot that detail becuase with cable modem on my dual-Athlon
and -j 3 compile option, I can churn through serious amounts of code,
accomplishing most updates without much of that tedious
delay....(suppose I should have indicated gloat mode?;-)

Now, when I had dial-up, the downloads were always the bottlenecks! And
yes, I initially used dial-up for all my installs...many hundreds of
megabytes...Xdownloader was my friend then! and that's what the second
line was for anyway, right ;^0  on-demand dialing and a few other tricks
lets you kick off week-long download/builds in the background, but is
frustrating if you are in need of a particular update!

Hehe... Seriously though, occasionally when nearly full rebuilds are
needed/desired, I let it run overnight(never bothered to measure total
build times), unattended unlike other systems that shall remain nameless....

Ahhhh....it's nice to not have a 5-year old system! My previous system
was a PII350 only about 14 months ago....so I'm sure I'll be with this
machine for many years, well into it's obsolecense. And the thing that
made me give up my PII 350 was not the 800-Mhz system at work, it was a
dual-Zeon running Microsoft OS. The 800Mhz system's GUI environment was
"stickier" than my old 350 but with the Xeon system it was too much of a
disparity for me to bear. The GUI was snappy and with the help of GNU
tools on WinNT at work, I was not having as much fun on the 350 as I
used to. Now I have plenty of CPU time for the forseable future....more
than enough to keep "mprime" running cintinuously in the background
searching for mersenne primes ( www.mersenne.org) taking occasional
time-outs to compile my code and do "emerge --update world" every once
in a while.

It is late and I'm sure I'm rambling and mispelling like crazy, hope you
get a chuckle out of this.

Cheers