[ccoss] Re: woohoo! first post!

  • From: Christopher Paulin <cpaulin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ccoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:29:25 -0500

Pete Santoro likes XFce, http://www.xfce.org/. I use KDE.

>It even includes an applet to check
>for and install Gnome updates (but not Slackware). I also installed
>swaret, which worked similarly enough to apt on Debian. The one thing I
>did notice, the package selection didn't seem to compare to that of
>Debian. Now, I wouldn't call this comparison totally fair, since
>Debian's apt has been around for awhile, which accounts for the huge
>number of packages available (the swaret changelog states that an
>upcoming version will support installing packages from
>slackwarepackages.net). Anyway, my point is I was comparing it to what I
>currently use, and the difference in number of packages jumped right out
>at me.

I see. So you can't just pick up any source package and install it with
the program. The people at Innovation Software Group
(http://www.innovationsw.com/) where the SCOSUG (http://www.scosug.org)
meetings are held create their own source rpms. Bill Rivet, who wasn't
at the last meeting, suggested changing the make file to put in some
uninstall code into it.

>Chris, do you have a separate /home partition? I've done reinstalls
>where I've just grabbed all of /etc (for configs) and reinstalled, being
>careful to NOT touch the /home partition. Once installed, I just
>untarred my /etc over the new one and all was well.

I think I have mysql files also, which aren't in /etc. I don't have a
separate /home partition. That limits the space in home. I could do it
that way or copy my data to my desktop during the upgrade. I'm not
working on that right now, so I'll see what happens when I do.