[ccoss] Re: woohoo! first post!

  • From: dave <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ccoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:30:06 -0500

Bill wrote:
> Ok....I'll inject my 2 cents (with interest!)
>
> I started with SLS many years ago, switched to Slackware when, well, SLS
> became defunct and Slackware took off...played with Stampede for a while
> till it's second stall...then moved to Source-mage...really liked the
> idea of casting spells and all, but the in-house bickering took it
> offline for a while and wasn't quite what I was looking for so I finally
> landed on....
>
> www.gentoo.org

ooh man, i loved gentoo! but alas, my impatience got the better of me in
the end.

I first installed it two years ago, and it took something like a day and
a half to get from first boot to full KDE plus Mozilla, hehehe. Once
done, I loved it, the BSD flavor, the package management (emerge) and
the whole system-specific optimization. This was its downfall for me
though. I couldn't wait for the long compilations, especially large
packages, which would take hours. Also, I found the Gentoo community to
be *very* helpful, with alot less "RTFM" than you find elsewhere. After
about 6 months, I went back to Debian with my tail between my legs. Man,
if you can wait those compiles out, you're a better man than I am. :)

>...though
> apparently there are now binary-only ways of installing and ways of
> cleaning out some of the "uneeded" cruft.

In August I decided to check out the Gentoo Reference Platform method of
installation, which is what you're referring to here. I got Gentoo up
and running (Gnome desktop, Mozilla, OpenOffice) in a couple hours, much
improved from my initial Gentoo installation. However, one thing to keep
in mind, once those CD images are more than a couple weeks old, as soon
as you do an 'emerge --update' you'll be compiling everything from
scratch anyway, which is exactly what happened to me. So, it doesn't
really get around my issue of long compilation times. Sigh.....oh, well....

dave