[carceri-dev] Inventory and Equipment Issues

  • From: Kornel Kisielewicz <charon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carceri-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:30:54 +0200

Hello again,

        The next thing I'm planning to implement to Carceri is the inventory
interface. There are several issues on which I need to decide here
tough, so I need your help guys :-)

        Carceri as for now will feature the standard one-item-per-square
"feature" -- but it might change in the future (I don't want to mess
with it yet). What I want to do now is the inventory interface tough.
And I'm quite stuck on how to do it from the players point of view.

        Inverntory size will be not limited (as in DoomRL) although I plan on
adding an option to restrict it's size based on volume and/or weight.
The problem is how to "show" the inventory to the player.

        The lazy approach is (I'm being spoiled by Lua) to implement the
inventory interface in Lua and that way allow the modder to customize it
himself. That's lazy, because it goes against the "no programming skills
needed" approach. And it's easy to implement :-).

        A nicer approach would be to define a lot of options that decide on the
look/feel of the inventory -- I don't know how to do that tough --
adding a toggle between letter-chosing items and menu choosing is one
idea, then there's the option wether the inventory is sorted by
categories (like ADOM), more is the size of the inventory list, wether
it's "scrolling" or multipage, and constants on it's colors (and
optional "color-coding" shemes:
        -- by class (valuables are yellow, weapons are blue, armors are brown)
        -- by item color (the color of the item is based on the color of the
ASCII gylph)
        -- by status color (lightgray - normal, red - cursed, blue - enhanced,
light-blue - ego, yellow - artifat)

        Are all of those needed?

        There's also a hybrid approach -- actually a enhanced #1 approach, that
allows you to include one of 3/4 predefined Lua functions of managing
inventory -- like: "ADOM style", "Angband style", "Diablo style" and
"GenRogue style". A possible expansion would be for these functions to
use some defined variables...

        Still, scripting is the easy way out and it breaks by "data-driven"
approach...

        The same is true for the equipment screen and equipment handling...
Although equipment adds the issue of slot handling -- how to implement
them genericaly?

        1) Which one of those options is the best?
        2) Any other suggestions?
        3) Which other inventory-interface related features you would like to
see?
        4) How to implement the equipment interface so it's easily moddable?
        5) Anything :-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]