<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #197

  • From: "Martin B. Brilliant" <mbrilliant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:07:24 -0500

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:08:45, "George R. Stilwell, Jr."
<GRSJr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Help! I have a problem. I want to listen to sample music from
> Amazon.com but it requires the latest Real Player which works
> on WIN9x. I have Win3.11. Real Player 5.0 is for WIN3.1 but it
> no longer works with the Amazon samples. The error message says
> it cant find the compression algorithm or some such thing.
>
> Is there software for WIN3.1x that will work with the Amazon
samples?
> The Amazon help people say I have to switch to WIN9x and use Real
Player
> 8.0. And give up Calmira? You've got to be kidding.
>
> Surely there's a solution to this dilemma.

Not kidding. In the first place, it doesn't pay for commercial
outfits to develop software for operating systems that few people
use. In the second place, a 32-bit OS like Win9x can handle large
amounts of data (like high-fidelity music) much more easily than a 16-
 bit
system like Win3.x (think, for example, of a flat address space). So
there's a lot of data floating around that can be read in Win9x but
can't
be read in Win3.x. That's why I'm running Win98 and just lurking here
in
Calmira-Tips. Windows 3.x has a glorious past, but there's no future
in
it.

Actually, that doesn't explain why I'm running Windows 98 and not
Windows 95. That has to do with a bug in a Windows 95 hard-disk
driver that makes it impossible to run an AMD K6-2 processor faster
than 333 MHz. I upgraded my processor so I could get high-speed
Internet access, and chose an AMD K6-2/500. Windows 95 wouldn't
start. I had to underclock my CPU until I could upgrade to Windows 98.

That's really another example of the same principle. Microsoft knows
about
the bug in their drivers, but didn't bother to create a fix for any
version lower than Windows 95 OSR 2. I had to either upgrade my OS, or
continue running my 500 MHz processor at 333 MHz.

                                                Marty
Martin B. Brilliant at home in Holmdel, NJ