<CT> Re: Windows in a flash usb disk

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:39:48 +0200 (CEST)

> From: "Ricardo Rita" <ricardo_rita@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Windows in a flash usb disk
> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 02:16:34 +0100

> Does anybody knows how to create a system usb flash
> disk?

c't mag here in .de had an article dealing with this short while ago.

> My brother gave me one as a gift, and i've been trying to
> run win311 from
> it, so I could have an easy way to work with win3x on my
> w98 computer. But
> the software that came with it only allows to make it
> bootable (my bios
> recognizes the device) with windows 98. I tried the sys
> command, but it
> doesn't boot. I searched for utilities, but found
> nothing. I know win311
> doesn't have usb support, but I think that's not the
> problem, because
> windows recognizes the disk like a zip disk or a normal
> hd, I think. I
> installed windows 3.11 portuguese version in it (the
> device has 32mb) after
> I made it a win98 system disk, but windows won't start
> because it says it
> needs another dos version. I tried setver with all
> windows system
> executables, but no luck...

First off, you must enable USB Legacy Support in the BIOS setup.
Then you should know how the BIOS would like the USB stick to set up,
some want a super floppy emulation, others need a hard drive
emulation.

Does booting from the USB stick work with the Win98 files? Then it
*should* work with an older MS-DOS as well (I assume plain ol' FAT16 is
used). As for getting Windows 3.1x to work on MS-DOS 7.1, osr2fix.exe
should help.

BTW: My home page has MOVED to
http://stephan.win31.de/
Thanks to Gaby for hosting it now :). I'll just have to look out for a
nifty icon to be used as favicon.ico.

Stephan