<CT> Re: New Calmira homepage

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:27:06 +0100

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> I just had a look at the preview of the new home page. There are still a few
> bugs, for example I found the following ones in the bug page:

> AFAIK 3 already is the default size, and there is no generic font family
> defined.

Hi Stephan,

It never hurts to specify a default font size. And as far as I know,
Arial is a font that is available on every windows system, and even
Linux and Macs.

> <!-- What is the line above good for? There is no text it can be applied to
> ... -->

> <!-- ...since P is a block-level element and therefore the inline element FONT
> must be defined inside of it! Only tag soup browsers will display this as
> intended. -->

Actually, <font ...> is also regarded as a block-level element, meaning,
it propagates to all levels until </font> is encountered.

> The same mistake:

> [Calmira]
> CanEditSettings=0
> </pre></font>
>
> <!-- PRE is a block-level element! -->

...and so is <font ...>. I put the font there, because Netscape (don't
know about IE) refuses to use a fixed pitch font when <pre> is
encountered. In fact, I found both IE and Netscape disregarding <base
font ...> when any formatting (like tables!) is encountered, so I have
to specify fonts throughout.

> In addition, there is no doctype declaration. I'd suggest:

Is this really nesecary? Browsers tend to ignore this tag, or revert to
standard HTML. And I write pages for browsers, not for HTML
validators...

> I just discovered another problem with the new homepage: The navigation frame
> on
> the left is not wide enough here, since the width is defined in pixels and my
> default font size is pretty large. In addition, I'm not able to change this,
> since there is no border between the frames.

I am going to leave it fixed. If i would use 20%, people with 640x480
screen would have their navigation frame too narrow. I can widen it a
bit. What font size do you use?

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter