<CT> Re: NE1 else with Matrox graphics? / longish blurb

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:49:54 +0200

> From: Erwin Dokter <e.dokter@xxxxxxx>

> Coolnes! Now you have the same mobo as I have, also a rev. 1.53. I have
> it loaded with 64 MB EDO ram and a Pentium 200 MMX.

No freezing problems? OIC, you probably don't have a 2nd tag RAM on
there, do you? (The board tends to freezes when a 2nd tag RAM is
installed, mainly when you run a Pentium MMX on it. Solderung on an SMD
resistor at R2 helps.)

> I can't help with the problems but if you are having problem with
> this board, you will love this page: http://www.ga586hx.de

I already knew this, but thank you anyway ;). (Used to have a GA-586DX,
Gigabyte's HX dually.)

> I forgot to mention...

> My ga586-hx is the 'official' Calmira development machine... it
> trippleboots between DOS 6.22/WfW 3.11, Windows 95 and NT 3.51 using
> NT's boot manager.

I think you've already mentioned this some time in the past.

> I am still looking for a 4 MB (or more) videocard for my machine. It now
> has a SiS 6326, but it has terrible drivers for Win 3.1 and NT 3.51. So
> I'm looking for a card that supports both. I did some research and most
> likely candidates are the Matrox Millennium II, the S3 Savage4 or
> certain ATI 3D Rage cards (depending on driver availability).

Well, here in .de I can get Millennium IIs for EUR 5 apiece as BuyNow!
on Ebay, not a bad deal (I ordered two, one for the ex-486 and one for
dual monitor operation on my main box, since Win2k cannot use S3 based
cards as secondary ones [I'll need a "desk upgrade" for that, but this
is not quite unlikely to happen in the next year or so]). Stuff I'd also
look out for are ELSA WINNER 2000AVI-4 and 2000AVI/3D-4 (S3 968 w/ 170
MHz DAC and Virge/VX w/ 220 MHz DAC, respectively).
Ah, great, the scuzzy HA has arrived, gonna install that now. :)

BTW: The list owner header still has to be changed, as it seems.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 256 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W