<CT> Re: My Old Machine..

  • From: Greg Fundyler <gyf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:29:41 -0600

Alan Grimes wrote:

> Now that I have resucitated my 1992 vintage 486 I think about how it ran
> win 3.11 with only 12 megabytes of ram... There was a really funny bug
> that I could never figure out that only happened with this old machine
> in its orrigional configuration. When I started 'doze 3.11 on it, it
> would crash and reboot. BUT... If I started win 3.11 then got up and ran
> out of the room, IT WOULD LOAD!!!
>
> This phenomenon was highly repeatable...
>
> Now *THAT* Is a funky bug =P

LoL! I guess the computer doesn't like you too much. <G>
And for a 'simple' Windows 3.1 installation, 12MB is more than enough. I
have an old computer. And in it original configuration, get this:
i386sx-20 with 1MB of RAM (4 sticks of 256KB each) running MS-DOS 5.0
with Windows 3.1 standard mode. Ran perfectly!

It still runs almost all the time. Currently has 4MB of RAM and runs
MS-DOS 6.22 with WFW 3.11. It is used for Solitaire, Freecell, Tripeaks,
etc. Mostly card games.:)  It is currently "owned" by my grandma, and
she's 85! Oh well...

- Greg