<CT> Re: Minor annoyances in Calmira, suggestions

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:27:32 +0100

Stephan Grossklass wrote:

> something that has been annoying me for a while is the following:
> On my system icon windows are being reused, meaning opening a new window
> for every folder is disabled. Now when I open a folder via the Run
> dialog or via open.bat, another open icon window is used for it.
> However, I'd like to have a new window in this case, as you may be able
> to imagine.

Hi Stephan,

Thsi may be resolved in the next issue. For now, the Open Folder command
from the desktop menu has your disired effect.

> Another minor issue: Calmira doesn't seem to like 256 color icons when
> adding shortcut arrows, they get strange colors then.

Can't help ou there. Win 3.1 'officially' does not support 256 color
icons in the first place (but will display them). 256 color icons have
their own, non-fixed pallete, and when drawing the arrow (with a fixed
pallete) over it, it forces the icon to adapt to that fixed pallete.

> BTW: In case the menus in icon windows can't be made to share their
> resources, could an option for disabling the menus bars be implemented?

Unfortunately, they can't be shared just now. still working on it.

> Oh, another thought: Could the routine that detects Win95 keys be
> refined so that the Windows key and the context menu key can be
> distinguished? That way the context menu could be accessed via the
> keyboard, and it would finally be possible to open the desktop context
> menu (including the "Open folder" command) w/o a mouse.

Sorry, can't be done. It would require rewriting the keyboard driver.
Under windows 3.1, the win key, along with all other non-standard keys,
generate a 0xFF?? scancode. All non standard keys use a double scancode,
but windows 3.1 only passes the first byte.

I have an MS internet keyboard, with all those browse buttons; they all
pop up the start menu under Calmira...

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter