[cad-linux] Re: the parametric project

  • From: Roland Krause <rokrau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:57:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Thomas Schmidt <thomas.schmidt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roland,
>
> It seems you actually want to setup a new parametric modeller. The
> brave =
> ones rule the world.

:-) That really hits the nail on the head - I am glad you said the
"brave ones" allthough I am sure you thought of 's/brave/crazy/' here.

Anyway, such a modelling kernel would be some really interesting
project, especially if it is backed up by a database as was discussed
earlier.

A CAD system that allows a user to specify dimensions by parameters is
probably built upon some form of a constraint solver. I assume that the
term "parametric" is used  because what the user actually notices and
sees is, that an edge can have a length that can be changed at any time
and the endpoints will automagically move. Parametric is a term that
refers to the application of the solver not it's implementation.

The first and most succesful system that implemented this feature was
certainly Pro-E, they even named the company Parametric.

Roland

http://search.yahoo.com