[cad-linux] the parametric project

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:00:11 -0500

I'm writing code recently and with all of the geometry handling, I started
thinking that it would be great to have an editing environment which
supported parametric objects.  I'd like to be able to tie a sketch to a loop
structure and have it follow the thing around as the program changes.  It
would also be great for making little notes which were not really comments or
would be better explained diagrammatically.

So, maybe building the Perl interpreter into an editor and linking it to some
kind of database would be the way to go.  But how else could you use such a
thing?  Maybe when documenting a project, you could tie a sentence to an
object or a part?  Or you might even find it useful to have a parametric
number stated in your report.  It seems likely that I'm getting carried away,
but I continually see the possibilities which exist with a well-designed
open-source system.

Too bad I'm swamped for the next couple of weeks or I could be finishing that
proposal.

The thread on a database-cad system seems to have lost some of its steam.  I
imagine others have also been busy.  I'd like to get something like an RFC
drafted and try to get some programmers involved in this, especially those
who have been working on cad software.  If anyone wants to help with the RFC,
we could probably use the sourceforge page for kosmos as a collaboration
site.

Anyone ever get a WIKI started?

--Eric