[cad-linux] Re: online documentation

  • From: dave <engrafdave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:24:07 -0400

Regarding,

>I'd like to see some documentation on the basics of
>CAD program design. I know plenty of students who are
>enthusiastic about writing software packages and some
>of tehm are even interested in doing gpl'ed cad
>programs. The thing which limits their abilities is a
>lack of information on how to get started.
>
>If someone could write a quick n' dirty guide on the
>steps required to write a cad/cam software, it'd be a
>great help.
>
>The people I am talking about are mostly CS students
>and don't know much about mechanical enigneering.
>
>Just my $0.02
>
>Sagar

If it were only that easy. Ive thought about it a bit and the best I can
figure you need to start by creating a three dimentional matirx that has
rediculous floating point resolution that is essetially boundless. this
way if you want 1" lines spaces 1/8" apart over say 15 miles you can
store this geometry. then once you get a handle on that then you have to
be able to create, place, store, and recieve basice geometry; line,
circle, arc, etc... Then comes the easy part you neet to be able to pic
any perpective relative to what you have created and stored and
represent it in two dimentions on a display. Piece of cake and first
year basic programmer can do it. Seriously if it were easy AutoDesk
wouldn't be so huge. They are not gonna tell us how they figured it out.
Coding it isn't the problem its figuring out how to do that is complex.